An historic New York State center for women's rights, Native American rights, and abolitionism and the Underground Railroad.
Events of 2006
In February 2006, the east wall blew off the meetinghouse. Approximately eighty percent of the original fabric remained, including much of the plastered interior, octagonal columns, and most of the frame, but it was entirely exposed to the weather, creating an emergency situation.
Working with nationally known architect John G. Waite, people in Farmington and across the nation raised $26,000 from both private and public sources. They transferred the building to the Elizabeth Cady Stanton Foundation. And they began emergency stabilization and initial documentation. Supporters included: •National Trust for Historic Preservation
•Heritage New York’s Women’s History Trail
•New York State Council on the Arts
•Chace Fund of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting)
•many private donors.
Save America’s Treasures declared this building an official project. The National Park Service’s Network to Freedom project listed it as an important Underground Railroad site. The State Historic Preservation Office declared the meetinghouse eligible for the National Register of Historic Places as part of a local historic district, to include the 1876 Quaker Meetinghouse and Quaker cemetery across the road. People of Farmington are working to donate 3.5 acres of land within this historic district as a permanent location for the building. The total cost of this project, based on initial projections, will be upwards of $1,000,000.